Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cup Build 2007

This weekend fellow hockey enthusiast Don Ferlazzo and I decided to build our own Stanley Cups to help cheer our teams on through the playoffs. We both chose different materials and methods of construction.

From good 'ol trusty Wikipedia... "Commonly referred to as simply "The Cup", "The Holy Grail" or facetiously (chiefly by sportswriters) as "Lord Stanley's Mug", it is one of the most-recognized symbols in North American sports and is at the center of several legends and superstitions."

You too can impress your girlfriend with your very own Stanley Cup. Here's a brief photo essay on how we did it...

DSCN1238.JPGDSCN1236.JPG
The materials (Mine on the left, Don's on the right). You haven't lived until you've walked around Home Depot with a bucket of Stanley Cup.

DSCN1242.JPGDSCN1237.JPG
Don decides to hammer the air while singing "If I Had a Hammer" as I discover that the Super Glue is only sticking to my fingers, not the plastic buckets.

DSCN1246.JPGDSCN1251.JPG
Just before I realize the metal bowl won't work. Don discovering drain piping can also be used for the Cup.

DSCN1252.JPGDSCN1255.JPG
Damn tin foil just isn't working, time for a last minute re-design. Don concentrates on his gluing.

DSCN1254.JPGDSCN1256.JPG
Super Glue and tape isn't holding up my Cup. Don suggests using the dozens of Ithaca pins Zach took from "Ithaca Night" at the Riviera Country Club. Shockingly enough, the pins do work and hold my Cup tiers together.

DSCN1258.JPGDSCN1257.JPG
Thanks to Ithaca College my Cup stands tall. Good thing I also bought a plastic bowl. Don finishes his Cup.

DSCN1260.JPGDSCN1266.JPG
My cup becomes silver along with half of the other patio furniture.

DSCN1267.JPG
Don walks off, pretending the New Jersey Devils just won the Cup. Pretend is all he can do this year because he knows the Sabres are just too good to beat.

DSCN1268.JPG
Goodnight Cup...dreaming of the Chippewa Cup Celebration 2007...

Click on the photos above to make bigger, or check out the rest of the photos on my Flickr site...

3 comments:

Zach Fields said...

If I knew at the time those pins were going to be used to build a replica cup in my apartment, I would have shed a tear right there in the lobby.

That factoid should be in the next "Ithaca comes to LA" newsletter.

Marsandle said...

HILAR!

TraySeaDS4 said...

I heart Stanley cups and beards!